Important Information about the Coronavirus
By now you know that cases of the Coronavirus (COVIC-19) have been found in the United States. We understand that this news is worrisome and that extra attention will be placed on schools in the coming days.
As with any contagious illness, we are working closely with the LOCAL Health Department and will follow their guidelines.
Our students are depending on us to make sure they are safe. Part of that responsibility is to pass along the proper information about the disease and how best to prevent it from spreading. There are some simple, everyday steps you can take to reduce your chances of exposure and to protect others. Fortunately, those steps are the same that you would take to prevent the flu, the common cold, and other respiratory illnesses:
• Wash your hands often with soap and water for 20 seconds. If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60 percent alcohol.
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
• Cover coughs and sneezes with a tissue (or sleeve) and throw the tissue away.
• Clean and disinfect surfaces that are often touched.
• Stay home if you are sick.
• A void close contact with people who are sick.
• Take care of your health overall. Staying current on your vaccinations, including the flu vaccine, eating well, and exercising all help your body stay resistant to disease.
• Consult the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) travel website for any travel advisories and steps to protect yourself if you plan to travel outside of the US.
To prevent stigma and discrimination, use only the guidance described by your local and state public health authorities. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me with any additional questions.
Christy Knutson, RN
ESU #8 School Nurse